Mathieu Deflem is Professor of Sociology at the University of South Carolina, where he works in the areas of law, social control, terrorism, crime, policing, popular culture, and sociological theory.
Check the pages on this site grouped in the following sections: www.mathieudeflem.net
Recently posted publications:
- USC Power Rankings Painfully Accurate. Letter. Free Times, July 2, 2014.
- Lady Gaga – The Scream of a Rock Star. In Pop-Frauen der Gegenwart, in press.
- 世界警学名著译丛:警务全球化·国际警务合作的历史基础. Chinese translation of Policing World Society.
- Review of Global Shell Games: Experiments in Transnational Relations, Crime, and Terrorism by Michael G. Findley, Daniel L. Nielson, and J.C. Sharman. Law and Politics Book Review, 2014.
- Introduction: The Prison World. In Punishment and Incarceration: A Global Perspective, ed. M. Deflem. 2014.
- Activism, Politics Invading USC. Letter to the editor. The State, June 5, 2014.
- Bowling for Global Police. Review essay on international policing. CrimeTalk, May 5, 2014.
- Review of Violence and Punishment, by Pieter Spierenburg. Internat. Journal of Comparative Sociology, 2014.
- Introduction to the Transaction Edition. Custom, by Ferdinand Tönnies.
- International Law Enforcement. With Michael D. Bayer. In The Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice, edited by Jay S. Albanese, 2014.
- The Legal Theory of Jürgen Habermas. In Law and Social Theory, 2nd Edition. Hart, 2013.
Forthcoming conference talk:
- “The Fear of Surveillance in the Post-Snowden Era.” SSSP annual meeting, San Francisco, August 15-17, 2014.
Feel free to contact me for questions and comments related to my work. Follow me on twitter for updates!ieu
Professor of Sociology
University of South Carolina
Department of Sociology
Sloan College, room 217
911 Pickens Street
Columbia, SC 29208 (USA)